Saturday 8 April 2017

The Lover's Dictionary - David Levithan

I have a habit of judging books by their covers and their titles. For example, if a book is named "She Swiped Right Into My Heart", I will avoid it at all costs. So, naturally, even though I knew that this book was supposedly good, I had no intentions of reading it. In fact, the only reason I read it was because of a Goodreads challenge. And let me just say, I'm glad I read it.

The Lover's Dictionary consists of a word and then a passage following it which narrates about a relationship. For example, think of a word. Let's say - absent. It will be followed by a narration of a failed relationship related to the word - absent. Think of it as something like "Terribly Tiny Tales" except all of the individual tales add up to the main story. So, we basically follow a relationship between the narrator and a girl. It alternates between past and present events. So, there is a clear contrast. When the relationship is in its early stages, it is very optimistic and hopeful. And when the narration shifts to the present scenario - it is bitter and sometimes, nostalgic. Overall, the book does an excellent job of exploring a modern day relationship - from its happy beginnings to its five stages of grief ending.

Now, any sort of experimental writing is a bit of a risk. People might love it or absolutely hate it. And not all experimental writing is well done. However, this one is fairly well done. I had mixed feelings about the book because of my personal preferences. But, overall, this is a good book and I would definitely recommend it to the right audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment